Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Generation Y - ME!! Me! Me!? Me? Me.

While reading my morning news reports at Google, I came across this article in the L. A. Times that's titled Gen Y's Ego Trip Takes A Nasty Turn. This wonderful article, written by Larry Gordon and Louis Sahagun, really states information that the 'average American' has already known for years. Generation Y is far more egotistical than any other generation in the history of humankind. Why is this now so surprising to people? All the previous generations have been practically screaming about this at the top of their lungs. The reply to all our proverbial screaming, from the Generation Y folks is along the lines of "You're just screaming because you're jealous of us".

To that type of unspoken response, I shall also give an unspoken response. A hand signal. Generation Y people are probably bright enough to figure out which hand signal I'm using. Here's 'Y' I get so bent out of shape with Generation Y people. OK, there are many reasons, but we'll just stick with the more 'technological and advancement' reasons.

First, and foremost, if it was not for the ingenuity, hard work and education of people from previous generations, you snotty nosed Generation Y people would not have your cell phones, computers, video games, digital watches, high end stereo systems, fancy little cars, rough and tough trucks, GPS, or any of your other little 'have to have' toys and gadgets. So you can stop already with looking down your noses at us 'older people'. If it wasn't for us 'older people' you wouldn't have your little toys right now. No, you wouldn't. Why? Because you'd still be trying to create them yourselves.

Secondly, you are very lucky to be human. Every single other species of animal on this planet would have literally made lunch out of you for even thinking of engaging in such narcissistic activities, thought or behaviors of any kind. Your little video presentations all over the Internet, (and I'm really not sorry that I feel this way) well, they stink. Pardon me, I'm not using your terminology. They SUCK. How anyone could find humor in watching a drunken college kid sliding head first into cement because he can't stand on his skateboard long enough to make it to the lawn that's 3 feet from the cement is NOT 'entertainment'.

With 'Generation Y' now entering into the work force (some of them are), I can well imagine how unsettling it is for those who have been in this work force for decades. I can tell when I am talking to someone from 'Generation Y' on the telephone. Just like I find it excruciatingly painful to hold any length of conversation with someone from Generation Y in person. It nearly kills me trying to 'dumb down' that far. At least most of the people from the generations prior to this one have some type of manners during a telephone call. What bothers me even more, is the fact that some of these people are beginning to reproduce.

I've read some 'feedback' on various articles about Generation Y Narcissism, and quite frankly, the lot of them are pathetic. One person wrote in "This is sad. But we raised them!" Then if you raised them, does this not also make you 'sad' ? The point is this: Yes, 'Generation X', 'Nam Parents' and 'Baby Boomers' gave birth to and/or raised people from 'Generation Y'. However, I really feel that you will be hard pressed to find one person from these previous generations who will stand up and say "Yes! I intentionally raised a child to love only him/her self! I want the entire Universe to revolve around MY child! I raised this child with the sole intent of forcing everyone to absolutely adore and worship MY child!".

As a mother of 4 'Generation Y' kids, I can tell you right now, these children were NOT raised 'typically'. I have made sure that they do NOT all have cell phones, iPods, lap top computers, desk top computers in their rooms, televisions in their rooms, DVD players in their rooms, personal telephones in their rooms...much less their own phone numbers. Do my children have access to a computer? Of course. However, said computer access is in the same office that I am in, and they are never un-monitored. "Oh , but they use them when you're not there, so you can't honestly say that the kids aren't un-monitored". Yes, I can say that. Why? Because when I am not there, the computers are password protected. But hey, if my kids want to sit at a desk and watch a fish tank screen saver for a few hours, more power to them! And for you high tech folks out there, rebooting the system is not going to do my children any good either. My reboot is also password protected.

When I was growing up (a statement that just made me sound older than dirt to Generation 'Y' people), I had a rotary dial telephone, that was not portable. You could not pick up the hand set and carry it 25 feet out into the back yard, around the house or half way down the block. In order to meet people, we actually had to leave our homes and go someplace else. College courses did not come with lists of 'manditory hi-tech' equipment like, lap tops, blackberries or GPS anything. Entertainment came in the form of media arts, not computer technology. Our news was 'brought to us in part by' various sponsors for major news networks like ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. A National Geographic Special was something to look forward to, and not a network channel for cable television.

So seriously take a look at what the 'future generations of America' are turning into. Really take a good close look. Then ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky'?

No comments: